PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) is an alternative FastCGI implementation with some additional features useful for websites of any size, especially high-load websites. It makes it particularly easy to run PHP on Nginx.
Included features – from original website :
- Adaptive process spawning
- Basic statistics
- Advanced process management with graceful stop/start
- Ability to start workers with different uid/gid/chroot/environment and different php.ini
- Stdout & stderr logging
- Emergency restart in case of accidental opcode cache destruction
- Accelerated upload support
- Support for a “slowlog”
- Enhancements to FastCGI, such as fastcgi_finish_request() – a special function to finish request & flush all data while continuing to do something time-consuming
..and much more..